If like me you are enthusiastic about learning Portuguese and want to do a little bit each day then Duolingo is a great place to start. You can download the free version of the app for iPhone and Android. If you want to remove the ads and progress faster then I recommend paying for Duolingo Plus. It can get you up to lower intermediate Portuguese in about 12 months as long as you complete your daily goal and practice on your mistakes. So what are the Duolingo Leagues and how do they work?
Duolingo is a fun app that gamifies language learning. I have been using this for about a year now to learn Portuguese and I would say that I have exceeded beginner level and I’m currently around pre-intermediate. It’s fun and easy to use. The app tests you on reading, writing, speaking and listening – all four language skills.
What are the Duolingo Leagues?
The Duolingo leagues are what you work your way up on the Duolingo language learning app. The way that it works is that usually the top 10 get promoted (top 15 for first ranks) and the bottom 10 get demoted (of course this can’t happen in the Bronze league!) The idea is that you have healthy competition with others in your league and you keep moving up the ranks until you get to the top of the diamond league.
Here are the Duolingo Leagues in Order
- Bronze – Everyone starts here! Finish in the top 15 and progress to the Silver league.
- Silver – The second round! Finish in the top 15 and progress to to the Gold League.
- Gold – Top of the first three – Finish in the top 10 and progress to to the Sapphire League.
- Sapphire – Into the semi-precious stones. Finish in the top 10 and progress to to the Ruby League.
- Ruby – Moving on up! Finish in the top 10 and progress to to the Emerald League.
- Emerald – Entering the Emerald Duolingo league. Finish in the top 10 and progress to to the Amethyst League.
- Amethyst – Pretty Purple. Finish in the top 10 and progress to to the Pearl League.
- Pearl – Almost there! Finish in the top 10 and progress to to the Obsidian League.
- Obsidian – My favourite league! Finish in the top 5 and progress to to the Gold League.
- Diamond – Congratulations you are in the Duolingo Diamond League! No further advancement.
By finishing in the top 3 positions in your league you can also earn lingots. Lingots get you gems which can be used to buy treats or extras such as my favourite – the streak freeze (200 gems). This means that if you miss a day you have your streak protected.
How to get to the Top of the Diamond League
When you get to the top of the Diamond league you get a special trophy. There are certain techniques you can use to win the diamond league. For example, starting later to be in competition with more chilled out duolingoers, doing stories, or brushing up to ‘legendary’!
Further Reading on Duolingo
If you are interested in progressing and getting to the top of the diamond duolingo league read my blog here! In this article I share my hints and tips on how to get that coveted trophy that comes with finishing number 1 in the Diamond League!