The old city of Porto, Portugal is one for the ages. Here you can find world-famous port wine that has been flowing through vineyards since 1758! The history and architecture in this magical place will leave your heart full with joy as well all other types feelings too if álbumes are included (Portuguese traditional albums).
Porto, Portugal’s once-wild river Douro, which begins in the Roman city of Porto, the birthplace of Port wine, has been tamed by locks into what appears to be a series of finger lakes, which immensely enhances the ambiance of the valley. The Atlantic-influenced greenery of the shore is quickly replaced by a Mediterranean landscape of olive trees, grapevines, and attractive medieval hilltop villages as you leave the coast.
Visiting Porto – Portugals Second City
Tourists can explore Porto at their own pace with a 2-day pass from the hop-on, hop off open top bus. Experience all of its major attractions while cruising along the Douro River and sampling some wine in Caves Calém cellars! You’ll also get an introduction into local cuisine on this two day tour that is perfect for couples looking to spend more time exploring each other’s culture instead of being stuck inside hotels or restaurants every night. The Avenida dos Aliados and the districts of Santa Catarina and Batalha are just some of the stops you may get on and off at.
Since the Romans occupied Iberia in the 4th century BC, Porto has been a center of trade and culture. Douro Estuary, where the Douro River meets the Atlantic, is a well-known port city. Ribeira, Porto’s oldest and most historic quarter, is also a great place to get off the bus and sample some of the city’s famed wines.
The Cales Calém cellars have been producing fine port wines since 1859, and your ticket grants you entry to the vaults. Samples of white, dry, and ruby ports are also available.
You can view Porto from the sea by taking a Douro River Cruise after you’ve seen it from the ground. One of the most popular river cruises in Porto is the ‘6 Bridges River Cruise‘.
Taking a Porto River Cruise
Reservations may be made by visiting the website, selecting your preferred language and then paying € 28 per person.
At any of the approved bus stops, you may exchange your coupon for a valid ticket.
- Passengers may take a 1.5-hour tour of the city’s history by departing from Avenida Dom
- Afonso Henriques (next to the So Bento train station) at various times between 10:30 and 4:30 each day.
- 9:00 AM, 10:00 AM, 11:00 AM, 12:00 PM, 1:00 PM… 2:00 PM, 3:00 PM, 5:00 PM are the times of departure from Avenida Dom Afonso Henriques at So Bento Station.
- Departures from Ribeira (Praça do Cubo) at 10:30, 11:00, 11:30 AM, 12:00 PM, 1:45 PM, 2:00 PM. 3:00 PM. 4:00 PM. 5:00 PM and 5:30 PM. The Six Bridges River Cruise (50 minutes).
- Reservations are necessary for the Caves Cálem Tour from 10:00 AM to 1:00 PM and 2:00 PM to 7:00 PM with Calém Wine Cellars .